kangaroo island community education
The strength of community participation in local governance and decision making lies in the relationships that are established and maintained within a school community.
The school community elects or nominates Councillors to the Council placing its trust in the Council’s consultation and decision-making processes and the integrity and diligence of each Councillor.
Each individual, therefore, in fulfilling the roles and responsibilities of a Councillor;
- must act honestly and in good faith;
- must use due care and diligence;
- must recognise that the primary responsibility of the Council is to the school, but will have regard for the interests of all students;
- must use the powers of the position for a proper purpose and act, at all times, in the best interests of the Council and the school as a whole;
- must recognise the responsibility and accountability of the Council to the school community and the Minister;
- must not take improper advantage of the position;
- must ensure that there is no conflict or apparent conflict between his/her own interests and duties with those of the Council and may need to have regard to any benefit or interest that potentially may arise for members of their immediate families, to the extent that they know their interests, as well as their own.
- has an obligation to be independent in judgement and actions and to take all reasonable steps to be satisfied as to the soundness of all decisions taken by the Council;
- must not make improper use of information acquired;
- must keep confidential the information received in the course of his/her duties, and not disclose it, or allow it to be disclosed, unless that disclosure has been authorised, or if it is required by law;
- must not engage in conduct likely to bring discredit upon the school or the Minister;
- has an obligation to act lawfully and to comply with the principles of this code of practice.
Governing Council Meeting Minutes
Meeting Held 21.02.2023
- Meeting Minutes (pending)